Monday, May 31, 2010

Make your own Honey Graham Crackers

I recently had the super-munchies for graham crackers. My first thought was, "I'll make some." I'd say, that's kind of cool because usually the first thought would be, "I'll go to the store and get them." You don't have to go to the store though. Graham crackers are very easy to make. Just let Alton Brown show the way.

With Alton's recipe, it comes together within minutes in a food processor. Blend the dry ingredients, then toss in the cold butter cubes - pulse until the mixture resembles corn meal, then add the wet ingredients. Flatten to a half inch thickness, wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

After the chill time, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, and roll out the dough between 2 sheets of parchment. Roll to about 1/8 inch thickness. Cut into whatever shape you like and dock each section with a fork several times.

If you happed to be out of parchment paper like I was, grease your baking sheet well. When the grahams come out of the oven, retrace your cut lines and scrape the grahams off of the sheet with a spatula. If you don't release them from the sheet, you'll have a crumbly mess on your hands. Scrape and let them cool on the sheet.

Tada! They even look like real graham crackers! Get the recipe here: Alton Brown's Graham Crackers, and I invite you to watch the episode so you can grasp Alton's techniques.
Videos from his cracker episode: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3.
Side note: Alton uses molasses in his graham crackers, but I'm partial to honey flavored grahams. Simply substitute the molasses with honey. It worked well for me. Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment