Monday, May 3, 2010

Eating My Way Through NYC Part II

For the second day of our trip to NYC, Travis and I headed over the bridge into Brooklyn. We wanted to explore the Park Slope/Prospect Park areas because I had heard a lot about them from bloggers like design*sponge who lives there. After walking around the neighborhood and strolling through the park we were starving and in need of a New York staple - a hot dog. We could not settle for just any old hot dog, however, but made our way over to Bark Hot Dogs where they serve artisan hot dogs, burgers and sides made from local ingredients.

I devoured the bacon cheddar dog - a griddle roasted dog smothered in white cheddar cheese sauce, braised bacon and homemade pickled onions - while Travis enjoyed the slaw dog.

We shared an order of salt & pepper fries and to wash it down I had the most delicious cream soda of my life from Foxon Park Sodas. Hot dogs and fries never tasted so good.

After lunch we headed over to Bklyn Larder, a retail cheese and provisions store committed to finding international and local producers of cheeses, meats, dairy, jams, honey and oils who showcase their local identity and respect for the earth.

One of my most favorite things on earth is a grocery store filled with delicious, local, high quality goods. In addition to their deli counter and cheese case, Bklyn Larder carries Mast Brothers chocolate bars that Sarah has been raving about for weeks so I had to buy her a dark chocolate, almond and olive oil bar.

I also purchased some fleur de sel chocolate covered caramels from Nunu Chocolates (another local Brooklyn chocolatier) and a freshly baked fudge brownie to eat on the spot.

After filling up on delicious foods and desserts and with a bag of goodies to take home, Travis and I got on the subway back to our hotel in Manhattan. It was a wonderful trip!

1 comment:

  1. Great posts! I felt like I was eating through you and your travels! Those Mast brothers really make a good bar of chocolate!

    ReplyDelete