Monday, April 26, 2010

Corny Pancakes?!

Hello all! As you may know, I've been a spring cleanin'. Sorting and finding and tossing and organizing. I found my old cookbook/binder from my FCSFN 110 course. (That's a cooking class for college kids.) It's loaded with simple, easy recipes. I found a recipe for Corn Fritters or Corn Pancakes. It gave the option of deep frying the batter for fritters or frying the batter on a griddle for pancakes. I have made an oath to myself to never deep fry anything. I know if I do it once, I'll see how easy it is and how delicious and then I'll be the size of Jupiter. So, pancakes it is.

The recipe asked for 1 and 1/2 cups of flour. I was going for something gluten free, so I used buckwheat flour, but I believe that any flour would work. Whole wheat or oat would be great, but of course all-purpose would turn out the best.

On top of the flour, salt, and baking soda, I poured in a can (14.75 fl oz) of creamed corn, 2 eggs, and a tiny dash of vanilla bean paste. Mix well, but don't over mix. No one likes tough pancakes.

On to a hot, greased griddle they go. Buckwheat tastes really good, but man, it makes an ugly pancake.

Silly me, this was not a silicone brush. Poor brush, you've been good to me. Note to self: get a silicone brush to evenly distribute oil on griddle.

Dones! These guys were a bit tall. Next time, I'll toss in a dash of liquid. You can use some crazy liquids in pancake batters. I've used Sprite even, but milk is a safe bet.

Storage for left over pancakes: layer them with wax paper and put into a freezer bag. They'll keep for a few months. Pop them into a toaster to warm them up.

Corn Pancakes
-1 1/2 cup of flour
-2 tsp. baking soda
-1/8 tsp. salt
-1 (14.75oz.) can of creamed corn
-2 eggs
-1/2 tsp. vanilla extract (optional)
-1/4 cup of sugar (optional)
-splash of milk if you like thinner pancakes

Mix all ingredients together. Cook on greased griddle. Serve warm with copious amounts of real maple syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment