Monday, June 7, 2010

Pseudo Hummus

I love hummus, and my Canadian vacation reminded me how easy hummus is to make. I've made it a handful of times, but never ate my own. At the time, I didn't care for it, so I was giving the gift of hummus to friends and family. This batch is just for me.

I like all flavors of hummus, so I looked for worthy ingredients in my refrigerator. I found: sun dried tomatoes in olive oil, green olives, and a lime. Perfect! I also added some pinto beans to the mix because I'm lacking in the protein department. A few dashes of salt, a clove of garlic, the juice of that lime, whiz whiz, whirl whirl, and hummus appeared.

As you can see, this is a far cry from hummus. I'd put it in the bean dip/paste category. Next time, I'm going to reserve some of the water from the beans and add it to the food processor until the dip becomes a bit runnier, like dip and hummus should be. Noted.

Though it's a tad thick, I really like how it tastes. I'm glad that I sneaked in the pinto beans for some added protein. I've eaten my pseudo hummus on toast and with tortilla chips, but you could add it to any spread worthy surface.

Pseudo Hummus
1 15oz can of garbanzo beans
1 15oz can of pinto beans
1/4 cup of sun dried tomatoes
1/4 cup of olives, green or black
1 clove of garlic
Juice of a large lime
Salt to taste
Paprika to taste
1 Tbsp of olive oil
Reserved water from the canned beans - use as necessary to achieve desired consistency

Combine all ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth. Store in refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment