Monday, July 27, 2009

Give me that sweet corn!

The market this past Saturday was slightly a bust. It was rainy, cloudy, and at times lightening-y. Farmers market go-ers don't usually like to shop on these type of days, understandably. Needless to say, I was bummed, cold, and soggy from 7am till noon. Around 10, I saw someone munching on a delicious looking, freshly grilled corn on the cob. I asked her where she found this delightful morsel, and I bought one for myself. It was wonderful! The sweet corn is in season now, and holy crap, is it GOOD. I will gladly take the usually degrading title of "Corn Fed Hoosier" because, hot damn, Indiana corn is the best.
Anyways, so after the market was over, I wandered over to the corn-grilling guy to compliment him on his product. To my great fortune, he had some left over and gave me FOUR giant, steaming ears of corn, no charge. It was everything I needed in that moment: warmth and comfort, with a bonus aroma of sweet, singed corn. He bagged them in a brown paper bag, and I hugged it like a kid hugs a teddy bear. It sat on my lap as I drove home to share it with my roommates. Happiness is a lap full of hot corn. That sounds really odd, I know, but I don't care. I'll shout it from the roof tops.


Because I love sweet corn season and because it's your lucky day, I'm sharing a beloved corn recipe with you. My mom got this recipe from her friend, Lois, the year that I was born. That was doubly a good year.


Corn Casserole


-1 can creamed corn

-1 can whole kernel corn (or 1 cup of freshly cooked, cut-off-of-the-cob corn)

-1 box corn muffin mix (like Jiffy)

-1 cup sour cream

-1 cup melted butter

- 2 eggs, beaten

-1 Tablespoon sugar (optional)

-1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)


Mix all ingredients together in large bowl. Pour into 8x11inch baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until slightly browned on top. Serve while still warm. I eat the leftovers for breakfast. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment