Tuesday, June 30, 2009

This is why I bake cookies.

I love bread. I love all forms of it; all types and shapes and flavors. I love to make bread, or I should say, I love to TRY to make bread. I've got the quick breads down: pumpkin bread, applesauce bread, zucchini bread, cinnamon bread, etc. Those are no problem at all. But when yeast is involved, that's another story. Yeast, why do you toy with me so? It is an unrequited love, the yeast and me. I finally had some spare time last week to do one of my favorite activities: baking homemade yeast bread. I love purusing through my collection of recipes, searching for the perfect one to make. I decided on a whole wheat bread that called for bran, flax, and wheat germ. Sounded good to me. Here's the loaf before the first rise. Doesn't look too bad....

Still looking good just before the second rise....

Looking pretty good after the second rise....

...and then they look like total crap after baking. They sunk and got too brown. Yeast bread gods, have you any mercy?

I'd say that this is the typical outcome of my breads. Pseudo ok, but mostly blah. It makes decent toast. I'll be having this toast for breakfast for the next three months. Almond butter, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment