Thursday, May 28, 2009

Gluten Free Thumbprint Cookies

I am totally down with thumbprint cookies. They are both appealing to the eye and to the taste buds. I attempted to make a gluten free thumbprint this evening. I think it was a good shot. I have not had many gluten free cookies, so it's hard for me to tell what is good or meh. I'm going to need some taste testers.

I was perusing the bulk bins at Good Earth in Broadripple and found some awesome gluten free ingredients. I picked up some brown rice flour and some buckwheat flour. Got them home and the experiment began.

I substituted the buckwheat and rice flour for the all purpose wheat flour that I ususally use in our Thumbelinas. I found that the dough was too loose. It needed more flour. I was worried that it would be too floury, so I threw in some powdered sugar, too.

The touch test never fails.

My guess work paid off. This is what the consistency should look like.

I would have prefered using blueberry jam, but there was none to be found in my pantry. Regular, boring, ol' grape had to do.

Here are these earthy looking, gluten free bites. My roommies said that they looked like stone. Yes, slightly. They held up well - no crumbling. The taste - grainy... (Can this be avoided with gluten free cookies?) but not bad. More feedback after some taste testing. Overall, not a bad attempt.

2 comments:

  1. I read a food blog called Elana's Pantry. She does all gluten-free cooking. Here is a link to some of her cookie recipes: http://www.elanaspantry.com/tag/cookies-and-bars/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know about taste, but I think they look really beautiful and unique.

    ReplyDelete