Monday, September 20, 2010

Eating Chicago

Last, last weekend I got to visit Karli in her new home, Chicago. She and her hub, Travis, picked me up, and away we went on our eating/shopping extravaganza. We were super excited to attend the Renegade Craft Fair. (An event that I was too busy absorbing to take photos of.)

After being in Chicago for only a few mere minutes, while Travis was stopped at a red light, Karli and I jumped out of the car to get a bag of Garrett's popcorn. Whoever thought to eat caramel corn and cheddar cheese flavored popcorn together is a flippin' gastronomical genius. Don't knock it until you try it, for reals.

For dinner Saturday evening, we ate at the Fireside Restaurant. This place had so many appetizing dishes. It was hard to pick just one. The cheesy rice balls with marinara sauce were sooo good.

After dinner we proceeded to stuff ourselves further with George's Ice Cream. There were so many flavors to choose from and the line was long, long, long. My coffee milkshake was worth the wait. I did feel like I was waddling home though....

A Taste of Heaven is the name of a cafe not too far from Karli & Travis's place. It's an appropriate name for such a cafe. The food is delish. We shared our entrees. Karli got a velvety French toast. I ordered pancakes layered with a berry compote and topped with whipped, sweetened cream cheese. Hell-o! Travis ordered a dish with cornmeal biscuits and a strangely tinted gravy. It was very tasty, but on the orange side. That didn't hinder me from eating the last of it. I'll have to get that again next time.

I came, we ate, we shopped, we conquered. I hope to eat my way around Chicago with Karli and Travis again soon.

3 comments:

  1. Hooray for Garrett's. The BEST popcorn ever:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG. I'll eat it until I get a stomach ache - knowing I'll get a stomach ache. It's totally worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. uhm yes - chedder popcorn and carmel corn are the best! i literally work 2 minutes from garettes. I have to try really hard not to stop there!! also - there is a cupcake place right up the street from there called sugar bliss and those are pretty bitchin too!

    ReplyDelete