Sunday, March 6, 2011

Macaroni Madness

Like many college kids, when I moved out of my parents house, I had to figure out how to cook for myself. I loved this challenge, but in the beginning, I was calling to ask Mom and Dad lots of questions. This Chili Mac recipe was one that I made quite often. It's easy, quick, and satisfying. It's been probably seven years since I first made this dish on my own. I've made a few tasty adjustments since then. You can make this kid friendly by cutting out the spiciness. They'll eat it up like...well, like macaroni.

Spiffed Up Chili Mac

Ingredients:
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1/2 cup of chopped onion
- 1 1/4 cups of elbow macaroni
- 1 15oz can of tomato sauce
- 1 15oz can of diced tomatoes (preferably with chipotle or diced chilies)
- water (save the tomato sauce can and fill it to the top with water)
- 4 to 5 large jalapeƱo-stuffed green olives, chopped (optional)
- 1 tsp chili powder
- dash of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- shredded cheese (optional)

Directions:
In a large skillet, brown ground beef and sautee the onion on medium heat. Drain fat. Add all remaining ingredients except for the cheese. Stir until incorporated. Cover and simmer on medium-low heat for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve immediately and top with cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment