Friday, January 28, 2011

Paprika Chicken and Cornbread Muffins

Instead of going out for our anniversary this year, we decided to cook a meal at home. I found a paprika-rubbed chicken from Martha Stewart magazine. (Oh, Martha, I love-hate you.) The recipe calls for 8 heads of garlic to be roasted on the same pan with the chicken. While my fiancée is still a vampire, we skipped the garlic all together.

The chicken was fantastic on it's own. The skin was nice and crispy. The only thing I would change is to rub the paprika, oregano, and salt under the skin and add a little black pepper to the mix.

It was so tender and juicy. Be sure to cover the bird with foil and let it rest for at at least 10 minutes after removing it from the oven so that the juices can climb back into the bird. Get the recipe here. I would love to try the recipe completely, garlic and all. The garlic would round it out nicely.

As we were cooking a full meal: a roasted whole chicken, mashed potatoes & gravy, a fresh salad, and cornbread, we cut a few corners with a boxed cornbread mix. I don't see any harm in grabbing a box once in a while, especially when you can spice it up.

This cornbread box twist comes from a random old lady that I encountered in the baking isle at the grocery store once years ago. As I was grabbing a box of cornbread mix, she told me that to make the mix even better to add a 1/2 cup of self rising flour (or 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour, 1/4 tsp of salt, and 3/4 tsp of baking powder if you don't have self rising flour), an extra egg, and 1/3 cup of honey.

I found this method to make 10 regular sized muffins. For me, it cooked in the same amount of time as the box suggested - no difference at all. The after photo doesn't exist due to the complete inhalation of the cornbread muffins.

Enjoy your weekend! Happy cooking and baking!


No comments:

Post a Comment