Saturday, April 25, 2009

I present to you, Thumbelinas!

Thumbelina, Thumbelina, tiny little thing.
Thumbelina dance, Thumbelina sing.

Very few of you will know what the heck I'm singing about. Back in the day, in my weird childhood, I was obsessed with the late, great Danny Kaye. In his movie, Hans Christian Andersen, he sings a song about Thumbelina, and it was awesome - or it was for a 10 year old me.
Karli blogged about these thumbprint cookies about a month ago. I had to try them out too, but with a different secret ingredient. We named them Thumbelinas.

These little beauties are pink peppercorns. They are a strange ingredient for cookies, but a fancy one, adding a tiny kick at the end of every bite. FYI - Pink peppercorns aren't even of the pepper family, but somehow they have a peppery taste.

Look at the pretty pink specks, very cute and dainty.

Sometimes the dough likes to stick to the spoon when you're making the little holes where the jam/jelly goes. I just dip the spoon in the jam/jelly juice and then press on. Hole after hole after hole after hole...

Plopping in the filling. We are making these for our shop with made-in-Indiana raspberry jam. But I didn't have any of that good stuff on hand, so plain 'ol grape jelly went on top of these.

Ready for the oven.

Thumbelina, you never looked so tasty. PS - Our shop will have these with a nice drizzle of icing on top, but I was lazy this evening. Cry.

Thumbelinas a plenty. Yums! These cookies have been roommate approved.

No comments:

Post a Comment